Monday, September 6, 2010

My Movie Poster Collection: J-K

Remember that you can always click on the images themselves to see them (hopefully) larger:

JACKIE BROWN (Quentin Tarantino, 97). Rolled, pre-release, G
A beautiful pre-release poster, that went along with 7 character posters highlighting the main players in this, Tarantino's most mature and lyrical film. I like the injection of Christmas-tinged soul here by referring to James Brown's hit.

JACKSON COUNTY JAIL (Michael Miller, 77). Folded, VG
This poster creeps me out, because I remember seeing the film at a drive-in as a kid and feeling then that I was watching something I shouldn't be watching. The poster's main image reminds me of the sleazy brutality the movie sports. Yvette Mimueux really gives a dedicated performance; it must have been difficult for her.

JEAN DE FLORETTE (Claude Berri, 87). Folded, G
I do wish the one-sheet for Berri's divine Greek tragedy featured more of the South France countryside that provides the story's setting. Still, I feel I'm lucky to have this poster, because I love it tremendously. Also, with Yves Montand taking front and center, I suppose I can't complain. 

JERRY MAGUIRE (Cameron Crowe, 96). Folded, FA movie I liked at first, but now I find unwatchable. UN-WATCHABLE.

JUGGERNAUT (Richard Lester, 74). Folded, F
Another Impossible Shot poster. Lessee...we got planes flying, a ship sailing and exploding, parachutists, divers, head-in-boxes (hey, why do we get Clifton James and Roy Kinnear, but no Ian Holm?), and the amazing telegraph message at the top, plus a cool red, bombastic logo? Yeah, I'll take it.

JUNEBUG (Phil Morrison, 2005). Rolled, NMI adore the artwork here, done to mirror the outsider art that the Embeth Davidtz character trades in day-to-day. This is a truly unique one-sheet--one of the best of the 2000s, in my opinion. And the film itself is superb--Ingmar Bergman by way of the Deep South.

THE KEEP (Michael Mann, 83). Folded, VG
How lazy! I guess the marketing department watched this film and felt a big thud in their guts like we all did watching it (even Michael Mann fans hate this film). 


THE KILLING FIELDS (Roland Joffe, 84). Folded, G
A disappointment. Such a fantastic movie, shot splendidly by Chris Menges, and they had to let the reviews take over everything. Even the image that they chose to anchor the one-sheet is all wrong. Still, I love the film, so I had to have it.

KISS THE GIRLS AND MAKE THEM DIE (Arduino Maiuri, 66). Folded, VG
Black and red always wins. A particularly lurid poster, for a film I've not yet seen. I bought it because I found the title to be strangely amusing.

KURT AND COURTNEY (Nick Broomfield, 98). Rolled, NM
One of my favorite one-sheets, because this shot of Kurt Cobain really sees into the artist's inner sadness. I love the very thick card stock the poster is printed on, too. The movie, on the other hand, is yet another self-serving documentary by the almost-always opportunistic and exploitative Nick Broomfield. Don't waste your time watching it, even if you're a Nirvana fan.

No comments: