Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Movie Poster Collection: F

Remember that you can always click on the images themselves to see them (hopefully) larger:

FANNY AND ALEXANDER (Ingmar Bergman, 83). Folded, G
An august one-sheet for Ingmar Bergman's finest work. Its simplicity and subtle coloring wisely doesn't match but also goes perfectly with much of the film. It's a stunning poster with elegant lettering, too. Meanwhile, the movie itself is staggeringly beyond criticism.


FANTASTIC ANIMATION FESTIVAL (Dean A. Berko, Christopher Padilla, Lauren Bowie, Randy Cartwright, Ian Eames, Eric Ladd, Steven Lisberger, Marv Newland, Kathy Rose, Will Vinton, et al., 77). Folded, P
So wild that I have this, a VERY 70s poster for the first collection of animated shorts ever released to theaters (as far as I know). I'd love to see this collection released on DVD. This is a collector's item, largely because of the inclusion of Pink Floyd's name on the poster.

FARGO (Joel and Ethan Coen, 96). Rolled, VG
One of the best posters of the 1990s. Bar none. Funny, weird, and beautiful.



FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF (John Hughes, 86). Rolled, VG. NOTE: SIGNED by Matthew Broderick. 

A FEVER IN THE BLOOD (Vincent Sherman, 61). Folded, VG
Never heard of the film, never seen it. But I really love the title and the colorful layout here.

FIRST MONDAY IN OCTOBER (Ronald Neame, 81). Folded, VG
An underrated comedy with really great one-liners, and the poster has Al Hirchfeld art, too!

FIVE EASY PIECES (Bob Rafelson, 71). Folded, G
I can recall standing at the North 85 Drive-In Theater in Atlanta, GA back in the 1970s and seeing this poster hanging up, on a regular basis, inside its beautiful, 70s-futuristic snack bar. I played pinball next to this poster countless times. God, I love this one-sheet. It's as haunting as is Rafelson's movie.

THE FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX (Robert Aldrich, 65). Folded, F
Seems like a better one-sheet could have been ordered up here. The art is gloppy, the tag line is lazy, and it's hard to discern here any of the great actors that hit the screen here (and that includes James Stewart, Richard Attenbourough, Peter Finch, George Kennedy, Ian Bannen, Hardy Kruger, Dan Duryea, and Ernest Borgnine). This is a disappointing poster, but I thrill every time I'm watching the movie, so it's okay. My copy of this poster, by the way, was turned on its backside and used as a quickie, magik marker poster for some other movie. It makes my copy more valuable, in my opinion.

THE FLIM FLAM MAN (Irvin Kershner, 67). Folded, VG
Never seen it. But I love yellow, so here it is.

FLIRTING (John Duigan, 91). Folded, F
Thandie Newton and Nicole Kidman dancing in their underwear. What's not to like?

THE FOOD OF THE GODS (Bert I. Gordon, 76). Folded, G
Early Drew Stuzan art for this absolutely terrible big animal movie (just wait til you see the big chicken!).

48 HRS. (Walter Hill, 82). Folded, G
I kinda like this poster, and kinda hate it, too. I like all the words, and the title treatment. I dislike the photos of our stars. They're lackadaisically cut out with childrens' scissors. And what is Eddie doig with a cigar? I don't remember him having a cigar in the movie. Is he doing his Bill Cosby impression?

FOUL PLAY (Colin Higgins, 78). Folded, VG
A memorable ad campaign, mainly for the bright logo and that firing gun. Hard to believe this was the first post-SNL movie for Chevy Chase! Personally, I liked Chase and Hawn together with Charles Grodin in Seems Like Old Times a lot more.

THE FOUNTAIN (Darren Aronofsky, 2006). Rolled, NM
None of the special effects in The Fountain look as bad as this poster does. When I first saw this, I worried because I thought it looked like total cheese. This goes to show you that great poster doesn't equal great film. This was the best offering cinema gave us in 2006. Now, when I look at the poster, I do so with admiration. But I still don't understand why they made the image look so odd and fakey.

THE FOUR SEASONS (Alan Alda, 81). Folded, VG
This was a cable favorite for me back in the 1980s. I watched it recently and thought it felt like a embarrassing look at our parent's getting drunk and whining a lot. I don't have very much love for this Woody-wannabe movie anymore--only Jack Weston still makes me laugh as hard as he once did.

FREAKY FRIDAY (Gary Nelson, 76). Folded, VG
Ugh. Terrible. Only bought it because it was cheap. The remake is vastly better (a rarity!). Is that the most INACCURATE artistic rep of Jodie Foster ever?? It's hilarious how odious this is.

THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN (Karel Reisz, 81). Folded, G
Boring movie. I have little feeling for anything connected to it, save for the unusually freckled Ms. Streep, whom I adore beyond all words.

THE FRENCH CONNECTION (William Friedkin, 71). Folded, G
This! Now this is great! There's nothing like this poster or movie in cinema's history. And this is a case where I cherish the use of rough photo graphics and stark lettering. This gives us, instantly, the feel of this asphalted film. This would be a hard poster to sell.

FRESH HORSES (David Anspaugh, 88). Folded, G
This seems to be the Brat Pack Holy Grail. Have many fans of said pack seen this movie, directed by the guy who gave us Hoosiers and Rudy, two well-loved but sports-centric dramas. The only sport here I see going on is...well, you know. By the way, I've kept this one-sheet since 88 ONLY because I loved its color, photography, and design so much. If I were to pick, from my collection, the Best Poster For A Film With The Most Obscurity, Fresh Horses would win handily. Seriously, I wanna see this movie! How can I see this movie? (Hellllooooo, is anybody out there?)



FRIDAY THE 13th PART 3 - IN 3D (Steve Miner, 82). Folded, 2 copies, VG.
Both copies of this poster came from the collection of my great friend Robert Schneider, an Atlanta movie theater legend and probably one of the first guy's in the country to handle a theater where the original Rocky Horror Picture Show was first attracting its fervency (and he ran the movie, off and on, from 1977 until 2002, and if you really wanna know what it means to be a theater manager, just deal with all this). Robert was the coolest guy I ever met. I could write a whole book on how unusual the man was, so I'll save a more detailed description for a another day. Let it be said, though, that he was the most dedicated 3D fan ever. He'd be so happy to see the advances in the technology, but I'm sure he'd be disappointed that current 3D takes away a third of the image's brightness. This is, at least, what bugs me about current 3D. But Schneider, Schneider would have dug getting stoned and going to see Avatar. How can I hate James Cameron's hellish movie so totally if I can say that with such unwavering conviction? Hell, Robert even made his OWN 3D movies, on black-and-white and, finally, color 16mm film (scenes I recall, because I was drunk: Schnieder firing rockets at the camera, having two red-headed gurls wrestle in the nude, and his Kegel exercises, in practice). Anyway, when Robert died, he left behind his collection of 3D movie posters. And somehow this left me with 2 of these posters. I think this is the best of the Friday the 13ths, too--there's nothing like that flying eyeball. I got a lifelong laugh from that.

FULL METAL JACKET (Stanley Kubrick, 87). Rolled, NM
Artwork by Philip Castle, the same person who did the famed Clockwork Orange artwork. In college, 1987, I knew a guy who was the college film rep for Warner Brothers in Atlanta. One day, I ran into him and he said "Hey, I just talked to Stanley Kubrick! He called me!" I was aghast. "Yeah, he knew I'd been putting up posters for Full Metal Jacket around the school, and he wanted to know if anyone had been stealing them." The oddly detailed character of this query was enough for me to know my friend wasn't shitting me. That was Stanley Kubrick on the phone, alright...

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Love the posters and especially your descriptions! :-) Wonderful!!