Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Movie Poster Collection: S

Remember that you can always click on the images themselves to see them (hopefully) larger:

SAINT JACK (1979). Folded, VG
What a picture! Have you seen it yet? Gazarra's crowning achievement, and a very different directorial style for Peter Bogdanovich!

SARABAND (2003). Rolled, NM
Another marvelous movie, done justice by a touching photo of our two stars, Josephson and Ullmann. Åh vad jag älskar Ingmar Bergman. Vila i frid.

SATURDAY THE 14TH (1981). Folded, G
Terrible comedy and officially the silliest poster in my collection (I mean, just look at that sorry excuse for a vampire, and the gorgeous Paula Prentiss looks scarier than HE does). However, I DO like the kid pointing at the vampire, as well as the tagline at the top. Keeping it for the literal shits and giggles.

SAVE THE TIGER (1973). Folded, G
After Seinfeld's "Free Save the Tiger poster" episode, I can never look at this poster the same way again. Often overwrought, very blue, but well-performed film about middle-aged angst.

SCREAM (1996). Rolled, NM
Hate this movie. Got the poster for free at the Plaza. 


THE SHADOW OF THE CAT (1961). Folded, NM.  
SHALAKO (1968). Folded, VG
WHAT? Connery and Bardot were in a western together? COOL! How can I see it? 

SHARKS' TREASURE (1975). Folded, F
The closest I've come to having a Jaws poster. Charmingly pathetic, with lots to read!

SHERMAN'S MARCH (1986). Folded, G
One of my favorite films of all time. I'll never give this one up! And I'll never ever forget being a film festival programmer in Georgia (where the filmmaker is from) and leaving Ross McElwee a message inviting him to our festival. He left a reply on my machine in that distinctive voice, and we had a short conversation afterwards (he eventually sent a copy of a later film, Bright Leaves, to the festival). Even though I never got to meet him, my interaction with him was a great life moment. 
 
SHIP OF FOOLS (1965). Folded, D
Imitation Saul Bass, but it's all good. The movie works only in fits and starts (with the great "little person" actor Michael Dunn being its MVP). Poster is in a bit of a shambles, but it's my only Stanley Kramer one-sheet, so I'm keeping it (yeah, I like Stanley Kramer--wanna make something of it?)

SHOOT THE MOON (1982). Folded, VG
A powerful, underseen film from Alan Parker and screenwriter Bo Goldman, who used the script as a calling card to land the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest assignment. This means it took nearly a decade to reach the screen, but it was worth the wait. Search this one out--it's finally been released on DVD.

SID AND NANCY (1986). Rolled, F
One of my very favorite posters, with a stunning photo (courtesy of master cinematographer Roger Deakins), lovely layout and typography (with the title printed in shiny gold lettering).

THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991). Folded, G
Still a great movie and an iconic image. Worth a lot of money, too!

SILENT MOVIE (1976). Folded, F
Beautiful John Alvin artwork for this underloved Mel Brooks entry. Next to Young Frankenstein, and before Blazing Saddles in quality, poster-wise. And how I revel in the fact that Feldman and Deluise, in all their glory, merit photos on it!
SILKWOOD (1983). Folded, G
A suitably scary image, perfectly performed by Streep (who's brilliant in the film, as are the included Kurt Russell and Cher). As captured by director Mike Nichols, the film sports one of my favorite scores, by Georges Delarue.

SIMON (1980). Folded, VG
So weird, Arkin in that leotard. Somehow missed this on cable in the early 1980s, but I now wanna see it very badly; however, I'm prepared to be disappointed by everything but Alan Arkin, who deserved his Academy Award if only for his life's work.

THE SLEEPING CAR MURDERS (1965). Folded, VG
Never seen this, but I adore the poster, and Costa-Gavras!

SLING BLADE (1996). Rolled, NM
Easily, one of my favorite posters in my collection. I'll never wipe away the memory of floating out of the theater once this masterpiece was over with. An elegant image and layout here, with a beautiful golden hue.

SMALL CHANGE (1976). Folded, G
Given all the varieties of one-sheets available for this title, this seemingly dull review sheet is the best, because it contains a photo of the film's greatest image: a first kiss, captured by the master himself, Francois Truffaut.

A SOLDIER'S STORY (1984). Folded, VG
Not a fan of the film really, except in spirit. Adolph Caesar's villainous supporting performance is what puts it over the top.

SOMETHING WILD (1986). Folded, G
I dunno who did the artwork, but I love it (especially that tongue). And, as far as 80s movie posters go, with those bright colors and fonts, it reigns supreme. And how I love this movie! Utterly the top for Griffith, Daniels and Liotta (what a performance THAT was), and nearly the top for director Jonathan Demme!

SOPHIE'S CHOICE (1982). Folded, VG
One of the best movies ever made and, even if you have problems with that, read the book and tell me with a straight face that it isn't one of the best novel-to-screen adaptations. I only wish the poster were better (I'd love a one-sheet of the iconic image of Kline kissing Streep--seen here in miniature--but I know that it exists; maybe as a pre-release poster).

SORCERER (1977). Folded, G
Well, they certainly knew where their bread was buttered on this one. Definitely the shining moment for this underrated masterpiece--in my opinion, one of the few remakes (of Wages of Fear) that bests the original. An exciting film and one that needs to be seen by more people. But where the hell is the widescreen DVD??? We have Cruising, but we don't have THIS on digital? Come on, now...

SPACEHUNTER: ADVENTURES IN THE FORBIDDEN ZONE (1983). Folded, G (2 copies)
A terrible movie, but I keep the poster because it was given to me by my good friend Robert Schnieder, who loved 3D movies. I sorta like the poster, too, because it catches a pre-John Hughes Molly Ringwald in action!

THE SPANISH PRISONER (1997). ROLLED, VG
Undeniably dull one-sheet, terrific film! They coulda done better than this. Kisses to Rebecca Pidgeon.

SPLASH (1984). Folded, VG
Another quintessential 80s poster! Just look at those colors! And the forever-young faces of Hanks and Hannah. AND we have the Twin Towers in the background. I always forget how much I sorta love this Ron Howard movie. For his ouvre, give me this, Night Shift, Apollo 13 and maybe Grand Theft Auto and I'm pretty much done.

STAR 80 (1983). Folded, VG
Another of the greatest posters I've ever seen, though the image is an ironic undertone to the darkness behind it (on the poster, the background is fittingly black). You know they couldn't put Eric Roberts' expertly performed Paul Schnieder on the poster or everyone would have instantly run in the other direction. Which, unfortunately, they did anyway: people just weren't (and still aren't) ready for this inky dark view of the entertainment morass. Love and miss you, Bob Fosse.

STARMAN (1984). Folded, G
For such a wonderful, different sort of John Carpenter film (one of a kind, in his canon), the marketing department came up short with this poster. I hate those 70s/8os one-sheets that have poorly cut-out photos transposed over art. Still, I adore the movie.

STARSHIP INVASIONS (1977). Folded, VG
One of the best bad movies ever made--wait til you see the special effects! They make Plan 9 From Outer Space look like Alien! Kinda of a terrific poster, too, with a magical golden sheen to it.

STARSHIP TROOPERS (1997). Rolled, VG
I would have gone with another image from Paul Verhoeven's classic, but I suppose this will do. This movie is easily on par with his (and screenwriter Ed Neumeier's) more highly regarded Robocop! Next to Dark Star, may be the (intentionally) funniest sci-fi movie ever, and with unparalleled special effects from Phil Tippett.
STICK (1985). Folded, VG, SIGNED by Burt Reynolds

STOP MAKING SENSE (1984). Folded, G
The best concert film ever made. The only movie in which I saw people literally dancing in the aisles for. The first film I ever owned on VHS. A spirited image, with Pablo Ferro's unmistakable typography on it! I'll never let this go.

THE STRAIGHT STORY (David Lynch, 99). Rolled, VG
Walt Disney presents: A David Lynch film. How could anyone not love this? Total brilliance, and a wistful image.

THE STUNT MAN (Richard Rush, 80). Folded, VG
WOW! Incredible. What a tag line! And that artwork is perfect for a film lover who like daring stuff. A singular achievement, worked long and hard on by writer/director Richard Rush.

STUNT ROCK (Brian Trenchard Smith, 78). Folded, G
WHHHHHAAAA? Stunt Rock??? "Death Wish at 120 Decibels???" Does this movie even exist? Clearly, it does, under an alternate title Sorcery. From Australia, those nuts. When I was working for the Paper Chase in Atlanta, cleaning out and tidying up their warehouse, we came across hundreds of copies of this poster, which instantly went into the dumpster, thereby upping the value of this very strange piece.
SUBURBIA (Richard Linklater, 96). Folded, G
Never seen it. Don't want to. Used to be rolled but I folded it, and poorly. That taught me a lesson: never try and fold a rolled one-sheet.
SUCH GOOD FRIENDS (Otto Preminger, 71). Folded, G
A Saul Bass original. I like it.
THE SURE THING (Rob Reiner, 85). Rolled, VG
I have affection for the movie, but the poster is lame-o--a product of its time.
THE SWARM (Irwin Allen, 78). Folded, VG
Another bad movie--from Irwin Allen--with good art, and heads-in-boxes, which I always find kitschy and amusing.

SWEDISH WIFE EXCHANGE CLUB (Franz Josef Gottieb, 70). Folded, VG
One of my favorite one-sheets to read.

SWINGERS (Doug Liman, 96). Rolled, VG
Great tagline, by the way. I saw it on a pretty girl's shirt just the other day.

No comments: